Florence - New York
Did you know the role Florence played in the discovery of America? Did you know that the man whose name is linked to the New World was born close to Florence in one of the most beautiful villages in Italy? And did you know that the European explorer who in 1524 first entered the Bay of New York was born in a magnificent castle of Chianti, surrounded by vineyards and only a twenty-minute drive from our hotels? We are talking about Amerigo Vespucci, whose anniversary of death marks 5 centuries this year, as well as about Giovanni da Verrazzano to whom New York dedicated one of its most famous bridges.
For the guests of the Lungarno Collection, we propose a guided wine and olive oil tour to the magnificent Castello di Verrazzano in Greve in Chianti, where the explorer was born in 1485. 220 hectares of vineyards of Chianti Classico and impressive cellars, dating back to the sixteenth century, preserving the best vintages of Chianti since 1924.
Continuing on one of the most evocative roads of Tuscany, we reach the beautiful medieval village of Montefioralle and the house where Amerigo Vespucci was born in 1454.
Discover the path of Italian explorers
- Departure from Florence in the morning
- Arrival at the Verrazzano Wine Estate Castle, birthplace of Giovanni di Verrazzano. The tour includes:
- Walk through the gardens and woods surrounding the Renaissance castle
- Tasting of classic wines in the antic cellars, tasting of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and Vin Santo, accompanied by traditional almond biscuits.
- Lunch with an assortment of traditional stuffed oven-baked Italian bread, Tuscan hams and truffle, warm pecorino cheese, fennel-flavored Tuscan salami, cantucci biscuits and wines of the Verrazzano Castle (for more information please visit www.verrazzano.com)
- Continue to the Montefioralle village along the ‘Chianti Classico Wine Road’. The tour includes:
- The birthplace of Amerigo Vespucci
- Walk through the medieval town, listed as ‘one of the hundred most beautiful villages in Italy’
- Coffee in the beautiful arcaded square
- Return to Florence in the late afternoon driving along the gorgeous landscape of Greve in Chianti